Through our people, we will continuously enhance our capability to design and develop vehicles to satisfy customer expectation and ensure the future growth of the company. The R&D Placement scheme offers you the opportunity to work across several departments within Research and Development:
- Body Design → Exterior → CAD & V3P Promotion
- Chassis Engineering → Brake, ESP & Steering Design → Suspension → Safety Strategy & Restraint
- Electronics Engineering → IT & ITS Strategy → Electronics/Electrical Test & Design
- Quality & Interior Engineering → Cockpit Module & Interior Trim → Materials → Restraints
- Vehicle Quality Promotion → Market Quality Engineering
- Project Management → Homologation → Cost Benchmarking & Budget Setting
- Customer Orientated Engineering, Test & Operation → Vehicle Evaluation → Dynamic Performance
Paid overtime and time in lieu
26 days annual leave plus bank holidays
Free on-site parking
Travel opportunities (dependent on role)
Working hours: Mon-Thurs 8am-5pm, Fri 8am-1:20pm
- Studying towards an Electrical and/or Electronics Engineering, Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Automotive or similar
- Some experience or interest in a vehicle related area and/or specialisation in technical field would be ideal
- Attention to detail, performing accurate & detailed work
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills
- Ability to integrate, interact & work within a team
- Good time & workload management skills to achieve results
- Self-motivation – able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable working within deadlines and in a fast paced environment
On joining the company, the successful R&D Placement candidates will be assigned to one of the above groups where they will support the design and development/test of vehicle systems and components for new and existing Nissan models.
As you would expect from a global company, Nissan Engineers work cross functionally across the business and with suppliers to create the optimum solutions to produce the best product for our Customers. Therefore as an Industrial Placement at Nissan we offer the opportunity to gain an understanding of all elements of our business that contributes to the development of our vehicles from conception, through to manufacture and beyond.
Once you have decided which department you would like to apply for, you will need to complete a short online application form through clicking apply on the job page. You will need to upload a CV and covering letter and will answer some questions confirming your suitability for the role. Your application should be concise but showcase your relevant skills and experience. Don’t forget to research us in more detail to enhance your online application.
Pre-recorded video interview
Following the values based assessment, you will be invited to answer a few questions through our Cloud-based video interviewing partners, Shine. Don’t be alarmed by this, it is a very quick and easy process which helps us make the right decision, saving both ourselves and you time. You will be required to answer 2-3 questions set by the hiring manager. First question will be a practice, so you will have plenty of time to prepare before you answer the real questions. Make sure you are in a quiet room with plenty of lighting and appropriate interview attire.
If your initial application is successful, we will then invite you to an assessment centre either on-site at Nissan Cranfield or at a neighbouring venue. During the assessment there are various activities where we will be able to learn more about you and how you deal with different scenarios. Either on the day or a week later, you may be asked to deliver a short presentation and prepare for a competency based interview. Your interview will be with a select panel from our recruitment team. During the interview we will give you a chance to really showcase what you can do and understand your motivations for the job. At the end of the interview you will get the chance to ask us any questions that you may have too. We understand that this stage can be daunting but it is a great way for you to meet other candidates and Nissan Cranfield employees. We all know how you’re feeling but try to relax and enjoy yourself!
Sometimes you will be asked back for a second interview, this will be dependent on department and is normally an informal interview to discuss your specific organisational fit. Throughout all of this stage, we want you to feel as relaxed as possible. We know that interviews can be nerve-wracking but just be yourself and try not to worry about getting anything wrong.
Job offer and medical
Well done, you’ve got the job! You will now receive a job offer from us. Once you have accepted you will receive a medical questionnaire to complete online and a contract will then be sent to you in the post, which you will need to sign and send back to us. Now the pressure is off, you’ve done it! Try relax and give yourself time to prepare for your new adventure.
We will keep you up-to-date with your application via email. Of course, we try to progress applications as quickly as we can but we have lots of graduates applying so don’t panic if you haven’t heard from us straight away!