On joining the R&D Graduate Scheme you will be assigned to one of our Engineering groups where they will support the design and development/test of vehicle systems and components for new and existing Nissan models.
Departments within Research & Development:
- Body Design → Exterior → CAD & V3P Promotion
- Chassis Engineering → Brake, ESP & Steering Design → Suspension → Safety Strategy & Restraint
- Electronics Engineering → IT & ITS Strategy → Electronics/Electrical Test & Design
- Quality & Interior Engineering → Cockpit Module & Interior Trim → Materials → Restraints
- Vehicle Quality Promotion → Market Quality Engineering
- Project Management → Homologation → Cost Benchmarking & Budget Setting
- Customer Orientated Engineering, Test & Operation → Vehicle Evaluation → Dynamic Performance
Salary: £31,314 rising every 6 months, ending on £38,134
Company pension programme
Company share scheme
Car ownership scheme
Paid overtime and time in lieu
26 days annual leave plus bank holidays
Travel opportunities (dependent on role)
Free on-site parking
Working hours: Mon-Thurs 8am-5pm, Fri 8am-1:20pm
We’re looking for the following from applicants of our R&D Graduate Scheme:
- Must have or be expected to gain a minimum 2:1 degree in either Engineering, Mechanical, Automotive or similar – ideally with evidence of a one-year work placement
- Some experience in a vehicle related area and/or specialisation in technical field would be ideal
- A creative, forward thinker with excellent communication and team working skills
- Strong time management and planning skills with the ability to adapt to a fast-paced organisation
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office applications
- A positive attitude towards travel within the UK and abroad
- You must have permission to live and work in the UK without restriction at the time of hire
- Language Skills: Fluent English speaker, other languages would be an advantage
- Attention to detail, performing accurate & detailed work
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills
- Ability to integrate, interact & work within a team
- Good time & workload management skills to achieve results
- Self-motivation – able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable working within deadlines and in a fast paced environment
- Full clean driving license
As you would expect from a global company, Engineers work cross functionally across the business and with suppliers to create the optimum solutions to produce the best product for our Customers. Therefore as a candidate on our R&D Graduate Scheme at Nissan we offer the opportunity to gain an understanding of all elements of our business that contributes to the development of our vehicles from conception, through to manufacture and beyond.
Once you have decided which department you would like to apply for, you will need to complete a short online application form through clicking apply on the job page. You will need to upload a CV and covering letter and will answer some questions confirming your suitability for the role. Your application should be concise but showcase your relevant skills and experience. Don’t forget to research us in more detail to enhance your online application.
Values Based assessment
You will receive a link to complete an online assessment. Here, you just need to be honest, it is important that our values are aligned with each other and this is how we assess your fit with the organisation. There are no trick questions so please just be authentic and true to yourself in your answers, we need to ensure that we take graduates that are going to be happy and thrive in our working environment at Nissan, Cranfield.
Pre-recorded video interview
Following the values based assessment, you will be invited to answer a few questions through our Cloud-based video interviewing partners, Shine. Don’t be alarmed by this, it is a very quick and easy process which helps us make the right decision, saving both ourselves and you time. You will be required to answer 2-3 questions set by the hiring manager. First question will be a practice, so you will have plenty of time to prepare before you answer the real questions. Make sure you are in a quiet room with plenty of lighting and appropriate interview attire.
If your initial application is successful, we will then invite you to an assessment centre either on-site at Nissan Cranfield or at a neighbouring venue. During the assessment there are various activities where we will be able to learn more about you and how you deal with different scenarios. Either on the day or a week later, you may be asked to deliver a short presentation and prepare for a competency based interview. Your interview will be with a select panel from our recruitment team. During the interview we will give you a chance to really showcase what you can do and understand your motivations for the job. At the end of the interview you will get the chance to ask us any questions that you may have too. We understand that this stage can be daunting but it is a great way for you to meet other candidates and Nissan Cranfield employees. We all know how you’re feeling but try to relax and enjoy yourself!
Sometimes you will be asked back for a second interview, this will be dependent on department and is normally an informal interview to discuss your specific organisational fit. Throughout all of this stage, we want you to feel as relaxed as possible. We know that interviews can be nerve-wracking but just be yourself and try not to worry about getting anything wrong.
Job offer and medical
Well done, you’ve got the job! You will now receive a job offer from us. Once you have accepted you will receive a medical questionnaire to complete online and a contract will then be sent to you in the post, which you will need to sign and send back to us. Now the pressure is off, you’ve done it! Try relax and give yourself time to prepare for your new adventure.
We will keep you up-to-date with your application via email. Of course, we try to progress applications as quickly as we can but we have lots of graduates applying so don’t panic if you haven’t heard from us straight away!