As a student on our Business Operations & Logistics Placement Scheme, you’ll play an important role in defining the flow of our “Just in Time” manufacturing operation. It’s an exciting opportunity to have a hand in restructuring systems, processes and suppliers to ensure we get over 500,000 cars a year to market.
On this exciting placement you will be given a real job with real responsibilities in one of the six disciplines within Business Operations and Logistics as soon as you join us. From day one you will have a mentor who will oversee your work and help you develop your knowledge. By the end of the Business Operations & Logistics Placement Scheme you will have full responsibility for the area you are assigned to.
Paid overtime and time in lieu
Sports and leisure complex
26 days' annual leave plus bank holidays
Travel opportunities (dependent on role)
Currently studying a degree (all degrees considered)
Able to partake in a placement year as part of your course
Excellent written and verbal communication
Good team worker
Flexible working approach with ability to self-motivate
Comprehensive understanding of Microsoft Office software (mainly Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
Ability to adapt to a fast-paced organisation
Knowledge of a foreign language may be an advantage
Our Business Operations & Logistics Placement Scheme offers real responsibilities from day one. Depending on where you are assigned you could be working across the following areas:
- Operations Management – Nissan manufactures some 500,000 cars a year – to order. We don’t stockpile, we don’t produce in bulk. We manufacture cars to fill the orders we receive. It means that a red Qashqai could roll off the line, followed by blue LEAF, then by a black Juke; the permutations are endless. Operations Management teams turn those permutations into a seamless manufacturing operation that works as quickly and cost effectively as possible. Without them, our cars could not be built. It’s a complex, multi-dimensional operation covering logistics, inventory control, Just in Time and supply chain management, together with major project studies. These can range from incorporating new designs into the production process, to restructuring systems and processes to accommodate our new models.
- Supply Chain Management & Logistics – Supply Chain Management is an integral part of our company; we are responsible for getting the right parts and vehicles, in the right place, at the right time and the right cost:
- INBOUND liaises daily with renowned logistics providers to design and engineer innovative and cost-effective global logistics solutions. We then warehouse parts once they reach Nissan; planning and collaboration with plant material handling ensures the smooth inflow of parts to the factory.
- PROJECT & COST REPORTING manages new model projects and developmental cost reporting for UK, Spain & Russia. This is completed against the backdrop of a competitive manufacturing environment, which demands the right cars are allocated to the right plants with the right level of profitability.
- OUTBOUND is responsible for the delivery of vehicles from all production sources to final dealer locations across international overseas markets. We oversee more than 50 logistics providers to ensure we deliver to all customers.
Once you have decided which department you would like to apply for, you will need to complete a short online application form through clicking apply on the job page. You will need to upload a CV and answer some questions confirming your suitability for the role. Your application should be concise but showcase your relevant skills and experience. Don’t forget to research us in more detail to enhance your online application.
Pre-recorded video interview
Following the values based assessment, you will be invited to answer a few questions through our Cloud-based video interviewing partners, Shine. Don’t be alarmed by this, it is a very quick and easy process which helps us make the right decision, saving both ourselves and you time. You will be required to answer some questions set by the hiring manager. The first question will be a practice, so you will have plenty of time to prepare before you answer the real questions. Make sure you are in a quiet room with plenty of lighting and appropriate interview attire.
If your initial application is successful, we will then invite you to an assessment centre either on-site at Nissan Sunderland or at a neighbouring venue. During the assessment there are various activities where we will be able to learn more about you and how you deal with different scenarios. Either on the day or a week later, you may be asked to deliver a short presentation and prepare for a competency based interview. Your interview will be with a select panel from our recruitment team. During the interview we will give you a chance to really showcase what you can do and understand your motivations for the job. At the end of the interview you will get the chance to ask us any questions that you may have too. We understand that this stage can be daunting but it is a great way for you to meet other candidates and Nissan Sunderland employees. We all know how you’re feeling but try to relax and enjoy yourself!
Sometimes you will be asked back for a second interview, this will be dependent on department and is normally an informal interview to discuss your specific organisational fit. Throughout all of this stage, we want you to feel as relaxed as possible. We know that interviews can be nerve-wracking but just be yourself and try not to worry about getting anything wrong.
Job offer and medical
Well done, you’ve got the job! You will now receive a conditional job offer from us. Once you have accepted we will invite you to a half hour medical, which is mandatory for all new starters at Nissan, Sunderland. A contract will then be sent to you in the post, which you will need to sign and send back to us. Now the pressure is off, you’ve done it! Try relax and give yourself time to prepare for your new adventure. Please note – at this stage, you will be required to bring proof of your right to live and work in the UK to your medical.
We will keep you up-to-date with your application via email. Of course, we try to progress applications as quickly as we can but we have lots of graduates applying so don’t panic if you haven’t heard from us straight away!