Environmental Engineer Job Description
Nissan Sunderland is one of the biggest car-manufacturing plants in the UK. Currently producing the award winning Qashqai, 100% electric Nissan LEAF and the all new Juke, which was launched this month, we’re proud of our 33 year history here in North East England.
We’re also passionate about our commitment to the environment and began integrating renewable energy sources into the plant in 2005 when we installed our first wind turbines.
Fast forward to 2019 and our 10 strong wind farm, as well as the new addition of a solar farm means 7% of the plants electricity comes from renewable sources which is enough to build over 30k a year.
However, we’re not just all about cars. Our people and culture are the heart of our business and we are proud of the diversity and variety that is found at NMUK.
We also encourage progression so we recognise your talent and provide you with opportunities to gain the career you work so hard to achieve. Our extensive training will also develop your skill set so you will be constantly learning and evolving.
We are currently looking for an Environmental Engineer, the successful candidate will be responsible for leading and continually developing the plant Environmental compliance including leading the Environmental Management System, permit compliance, environmental objectives and regulator liaison.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Management of a mature ISO14001 Environmental Management System including:
- Lead site environmental compliance and provide expert support to Shop Environmental Groups.
- Internal audit delivery and lead external recertification audit.
- Deployment of global objectives and strategies to Sunderland plant.
- Development of staff training and awareness
- Emissions monitoring contract management
- Regulator interface (Sunderland City Council and Environment Agency)
- Coordination of legal permits, emission to air / water, Part B, EU-ETS, petrol storage and development of strategies for compliance with new and pending legislation.
- Key stakeholder for Carbon trading schemes, EU-ETS, Climate Change Agreement and ESOS.
- Represent Nissan with external organisations (SMMT, ACEA) assess and influence future environmental legislation.
Experience and Qualifications Required:
- Environmental Science or Environmental Management qualified (Degree level or equivalent experience)
- Experience of environmental permitting and ISO14001 management.
- Understanding of air, water and waste pollution impacts and control techniques.
- Ability to liaise with environmental regulators
- Good data analysis skills
- Excellent communication and report writing skills
Do you have a degree or equivalent in Environmental Science or Environmental Management?
NOT a Nissan employee? APPLY HERE